Sunday, May 15, 2016

Coach

I wrote this poem for my high school tennis coach, who retired from coaching last year. I was pleased with how it turned out, so I’m sharing it here.

Serve, baseline, volley, lob shot, approach
To master these you need a good coach

I wasn’t all that good at tennis
But 4 years I played at G-P High
Under the forbearing Coach Prewit
Didn’t improve much but I did try

There wasn’t much talent to work with
But Coach urged me to train and compete
To have a cool head and lead in front
To learn something new when I was beat

There’s joy and trials and growth pains being on a team
It means a lot, even when you’re not the crop’s cream

Coach nurtured an attitude that serves me well now
Regardless your place, work at it with all your heart
If what you want’s not there, find another way how
To sow seeds of success, you need a worker’s plough

Whatever you are doing, work at it with enthusiasm, as to the Lord and not for people, because you know that you will receive your inheritance from the Lord as the reward. Serve the Lord Christ. (Colossians 3:23-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment