Friday, March 18, 2016

Another’s plan

O, to be a man worthy of greatness!
All the day long to be that man I strive
Relying on super ability
Cursing men and things who would me deprive

Pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
Ithaca opposite the Aegean Sea
Fair maiden guarded by sleepy dragon
They could be mine—if only I’m worthy

But limitations set in my person
Are the proof I deserve not to deserve
Treasures I thought waited for my taking
Achievements with which to my will preserve

What must I do yet to worthiness earn?
I am lacking but mastery discern
Hey now, these faults from my midst I should burn
Forge a new man over the old’s embers
Hew matter to the purpose of my will
Cut earth with a sword of remade members
And work to my satisfaction fulfill

Lonelier it gets, farther the goal looks
Cruel world pushes back without relent
It spins by another’s plan, so by that
Measure I’m condemned, it’s no accident

By applying mind over matter
I always thought one’s fortune could reverse
But true blessings come down from high above
Not up from deceitful desires, perverse

To ruin leads the flesh-driven effort
The forms of earthly things that I debase
Have their set purpose in a heav’nly plan
In which their maker resemble a trace

Building on my terms I labor in vain
What in the earth realm do I have to gain
To reduce God’s to mine and thus profane?
Father, help me only for You to yearn
To order not just my members, but will
Set fire to myself, let the old man burn
And work to Your satisfaction fulfill

  • Psalms 127:1
  • Luke 9:25
  • Romans 7:23
  • 1 Corinthians 3:11-13
  • Galatians 6:8
  • Ephesians 4:22
  • Colossians 3:1

I believe God made the physical world to thwart our selfish designs so we should turn to Him for sustenance.

See also my poem “Truest self.”

No comments:

Post a Comment