Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mission restatement

I started this blog 2 months ago because I had a lot to say and no one to say it to. I don’t want fame or money. I just want to be read.

I have a job that keeps me mildly interested and that pays the bills. I have many interests, including hiking, photography, wife hunting, and a novel I can’t seem to finish. I’ve recently found God’s grace through Jesus Christ. The whole Christian thing is strange and disorienting to me, who was raised in a nonreligious house.

What I mean to say is, I have a lot going on. I have every reason to give up on this blog for lack of readers, especially since the election has come and gone. The time for picking fights and changing people’s minds is over, at least for a year, I’m tempted to conclude.

But I won’t. I’m going to keep writing. I still have a lot to say, and judging from the election returns, a lot of people need to hear it. So think of this as a mission restatement.

In my first post in this space, I quoted the late, great Francis Schaeffer. In How Should We Then Live?, Schaeffer wrote:

Any ways in which the system is still working is largely due to the sheer inertia of the continuation of the past principles. But this borrowing cannot go on forever.

The past that has sustained the present is losing momentum. In selfish frenzy we have deliberately chosen decline. Whatever material wealth and comfort we acquire in the coming years will pale in comparison to the inadequacy of that god we now worship: ourselves.

I was certain the majority of Americans yearn for liberty and independence in their heart of hearts. Yes, the welfare state sucks in a lot of weak-minded people, but I believed Americans would rally if you appeal to their innate desires, if you empower them to determine the course of their lives.

Now I’m not so sure. Decades of cultural rot have produced a nihilist nation in which, inevitably, everyone looks out for themselves. A majority have no shame in government dependency. They see it as a bargain. Unlike rats fleeing a sinking ship, they stay and fight for the remaining scraps with no long-term plan for when the flood sweeps them away.

To abuse another metaphor, I have felt like that poor sap at state fairs waiting to be dunked in a giant bucket of ice water, hurling insults at people while the bottom threatens to fall out from under him at any moment. On November 6, I believe the bottom did fall out. Not only did Mitt Romney lose, but Republicans, expecting to take control of the Senate, actually lost 3 Senate seats to the Democrats. Such a deep-throated endorsement of big-government consumerism I did not think was possible.

Over a year ago, people I respected like Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell inveighed against the momentum of the present and opined that it was too late to reverse course. Yet they kept writing and giving interviews, even though both of them didn’t need to.

Why? Why did they keep fighting what they considered to be a lost cause?

We have two choices in life: We can fight and die, or we can give up and die. I prefer the former. Whenever I’m tempted to the latter, I reinforce myself with a quote from Rabbi Tarfon:

It is not up to you to finish the task, but neither are you free to desist from trying.

1 comment:

  1. Never give in, never surrender. Keep fighting for what you believe and you will never loose.

    ReplyDelete