Now that people have seen what a decent Star Wars movie looks like in Rogue One, maybe they will be more accepting of the flaws in the mediocre at best The Force Awakens. Here’s a recap of TFA’s worst transgressions, none of which mired Rogue One:
- Galactic stupidity. The First Order are chumps. The comic relief, Finn, outwits them. They’re easily defeated and are not menacing at all. But they’re smart enough to obliterate the even stupider New Republic in one strike.
- Ma-Rey Sue. She’s too perfect and not interesting as a character. She’s better at everything than everyone else. For no reason, other characters like and trust her immediately.
- Copied and pasted plot beats from the original trilogy. Read more here.
- The cheapening of the Force. Rey becomes an elite Force user with only a passing acquaintance of it. The light saber, an inanimate object, ”talks“ to her through the Force.
- Wide disconnect from Return of the Jedi. The Empire was defeated, but now they’re back. The Rebels were victorious, but they’re still rebelling. Luke is a hero, now he’s a coward who goes into hiding as the galaxy goes to pot again. Han and Leia are together, now they’re back to doing the same thing they were doing before A New Hope.